and His Wife

arthur_h_sprick.jpg (6885 bytes)

Arthur H. Sprick, the youngest son of August H. Sprick and his wife Sophia nee Birkmann, was born August 31, 1916, on a farm northwest of Port Hudson Lutheran Church.

In infancy he was baptized and later confirmed in Port Hudson Lutheran Church. He attended Liberty School and also Port Hudson School and grew to young manhood and farmed his father's farm until 1940 when he was employed by International Shoe Company of Washington, Missouri. On weekends he went home and helped his parents on the farm.

On November 21, 1942, he was married to Rufina (Toots) Klingsick at Port Hudson Lutheran church. Quitting the shoe factory they moved to his parents farm and again took over farming. 

In January, 1943, he went into the Armed Forces to serve his country. He was placed in the Army Air Corps and was stationed in Boise, Idaho until November, 1944. He was then transferred to the Infantry and sent to Camp Howze, Texas. In February, 1945, he left for overseas duty and fought in Germany. While overseas, he was with Co. B 9th Armored Division, 60th Infantry and was in England, France, Germany, Belgium, Ireland and Czechoslovakia.  He joined the 9th Armored Division just before crossing the Rhine River. They crossed the Rhine on a platoon bridge just before the bridge blew up. He was on the Half Track most of the time and at one time served under General Patton.

I (Toots) went back to my parents - Fred Klingsick's home - and remained there till he returned from service.

On September 29, 1943, their first son Charles Duane was born at St. Francis Hospital. Charles was five months old when his father first saw him. In January, 1946, Arthur returned from service and they started life anew at 302 Williams Street, Washington, Missouri. Arthur was employed by Master Bakery till 1951.

On March 30, 1948, their second son, Dennis Arthur, was born at St. Francis Hospital.

In 1951, Arthur left the bakery and again worked at International Shoe Company till 1956 when he quit and started work at Washington Metal Plant.  In March, 1954, they moved to 164 Pottery Road and lived there in his parents' home.  In 1956 they bought the home and acreage and remodeled the home. They lived there till March 16, 1974 when they moved to 1717 Sunnydale Drive, Washington, Missouri.  In 2002, Arthur and Toots moved to Kingwood, TX to be near their son Dennis and his family.

Arthur suffered several strokes in 2006 and passed away on February 12, 2007.  His remains are interred in Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery, Washington, MO.

Charles Duane (Chuck) married Sharon Kay Kiefer of Kansas City, Mo. at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Washington, Mo. on January 26, 1964. Their first son, Cyle Duane, was born July 8, 1968 on the Island of Okinawa while Chuck was in the Air Force. In 1976 they adopted their second son, Robert Daniel, in Colorado. Chuck and Sharon divorced in 1991 and Chuck married Lee Ann Crabtree from Dayton, OH on June 21, 1995 at Lake Tahoe, CA.

Dennis Arthur married Carol Marian Clark of Southfield, MI on June 5, 1970. Their daughter, Kelly Shawn, was born October 21, 1973 in Baton Rouge, La.  Their son, Bradley, was born on July 6, 1977.